Faculty & Staff
Silvana Nazzaro Clark, Head of School
- Bachelor of Science, Cornell University.
- Masters of Arts, Curriculum & Instruction, Columbia University Teachers' College. Research: Reading-Writing Project & Inquiry Method with Dr. Lucy Calkins; Independent Study: Moral dimension of teaching. Publication: Participated in an international teacher conversation group which led to Talking Shop: Authentic Conversation and Teacher Learning, March 2001 by Teachers College Press.
- Ed.D. Pre-Candidate, Curriculum & Instruction, George Washington University. Research: Reggio Emilia Schools, Italy.
- Project Zero, Harvard University
- Wilderness Educators Coursework, National Outdoor Leadership School.
- Over 20 years experience as a teacher, researcher, consultant, and administrator.
- Served on three Boards of Trustees.
- Worked in private and public schools in the United States and abroad: Sheridan School, DC; Princeton Academy, NJ; Colegio Menor San Francisco, Ecuador; Reggio Schools, Italy; South Brunswick Schools, NJ; Montgomery County Schools, MD.
I believe that there are three fundamental aspects to education: The development of a healthy and interdependent community of learners, knowing the learner, and understanding the learning process.
Each is essential in catalyzing a chain of experiences in learners that enables them to take risks to know themselves and others, ask questions, solve problems, seek out their purpose, and contribute to the world.
The class community is microcosm of society. As my own former principal, Bill Johnson, once said, "Children are barometers for what is occurring in society." Not only do children reflect trends and the social climate, they will also determine the outcomes in the future. Besides family, school communities are among the first influences on the ways in which children perceive community.
Relationships through peer interaction have a strong influence on the individual. Principles of respect, ethics, and moral development are nurtured through community. It is critical that the education of an individual includes raising their awareness of the connectedness and interdependence among humans, their belief systems, and to the natural world. Underpinning this interdependence is the realization that by nurturing community we are in essence developing a healthy society and individuals that will contribute to it.
"The most extraordinary thing about a really good teacher is that he or she transcends accepted educational methods." - Margaret Mead
- BA, Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ Double Major: Elementary Education and Dance, Minor: Early Childhood Education
- Certification, Educational Technology
- Lead Toddler Teacher, Art and Nature Camp, Princeton Junior School
- Pennington Dance Studio, Choreographer and Dance Teacher for ages 5-12
- BA, Social Studies, Providence College; Providence, RI
- University League Nursery School; Princeton, NJ, Head and Assistant Teacher for ages 3-5
- Rocky Hill Cooperative Nursery School; Rocky Hill, NJ, Assistant Teacher for ages 3-5
- Music Together Specialist
- Girls Lacrosse Coach, Montgomery League and Princeton Schools
- M.Ed. Elementary Education, Curriculum and Instruction with emphasis on Social Justice, Keene State College, Keene, NH
- B.S. Speech Language Pathology, The College of St. Rose, Albany, NY
- Assistant Director, Creative Children's Center, Beaverton, Oregon
- Developed, designed and taught a Reggio inspired, one-room schoolhouse program, K-3 in Beaverton, Oregon
- Designed and taught a Reggio inspired 9-month preschool program for children ages 2-5, Portland, Oregon
- Presenter at Day of Dialogue, Seattle, WA and Wonder of Learning, Portland, Oregon
- B.A. Theatre with concentration in Theatre Education, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
- Director of Education and Youth Programming for Recess Theatre
- Associate Artistic Director, Hightstown Theatre in the Park
- B.S., Elementary Education, West Chester University, PA
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, specializing in Curriculum, Science Education emphasis, Loyola College, Baltimore, MD
- Science specialist
- Creator of "The Science Wagon" science lessons for area public and private preschools
- K-6 Science Specialist, Prince Georges County, MD
- Presidential Award Winner for Science teaching K-6, 1997
- BFA, Theater Education, Emerson College, Boston, MA
- M.A.,Educational Psychology, University of Northern Colorado (anticipated)
- Author of children's picture book, Around the World Right Now
- 10 years experience teaching preschool and 17 years experience teaching theater to ages 4-12
- B.A. Liberal Arts, SUNY at Albany, Albany, NY
- Studied drawing at Artworks, Trenton, NJ
- Studied watercolor with Mary La Farge, Pennington, NJ
- Studied clay work at Ursula Kaplowitz's Clay Garden, Hopewell, NJ
- Early Childhood Credential with American Montessori Society
- Consultant to PCTE (Princeton Center for Teacher Education)
- Presenter of "Teach Your Passion: How Art and Storytelling Enrich the Preschool Experience" at Montessori Conference
- 18 years of teaching and arts integration programming development
- BA, Sociology, Gettysburg College
- MA Early Childhood and Elementary Education, Bank Street College of Education
- Taught 16 years at All Souls School, NYC
- Workshop Leader: Reggio Emilia - Vision and Practice, NYC
- Long term member of NYC Association for the Education of Young Children (NYCAEYC), Board Member 2008-2009, co-hosted events and served as a panelist for "Strategies for Managing Challenging Behavior in Early Childhood Classroom."
- Member North American Reggio Emilia Alliance (NAREA)
- B.A., Elementary Education, National-Louis University, Evanston, Illinois
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), Multidisciplinary Studies, Webster University, Kansas City, Missouri
- Toddler Teacher, Beth Chaim, West Windsor, NJ
- 7 years elementary school teacher, Missouri Public Schools
- Multiple nominations for Teacher of the Year Award
- Advisor to a Recipient of the Congressional Award for young Americans
- BA, Elementary Education, North Central University, Minneapolis, MN
- Master's of Education, University of West Alabama, Livingston AL (anticipated 2017)
- Certification: Department of Defense Education Activity, Elementary Eduction 1-8
- 20 years of elementary teaching experience in the United States, Germany, Japan, and Tanzania.
- IB PYP Professional Development: PYP Concept-based Teaching, Inquiry
- Coached soccer, softball, football and basketball, K-age 12
- BA, College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, MN
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ (anticipated 2017)
- New Jersey Certification (anticipated 2017)
- Orton Gillingham Credential
- IB PYP Professional Development, Inquiry in Reading and Writing
- B.S. Journalism, concentration in Spanish Literature, Boston University
- M.S., Childhood General & Bilingual/Dual Language Education, Bank Street College of Education, New York, NY
- NY State Department of Education Certification, grades 1-6 with Bilingual Endorsement
- IL State Board of Education Certification, grades K-9 with Bilingual Endorsement
- CA State Teaching Credential, grades K-9 with Bilingual Endorsement
- Over 11 years of elementary teaching experience in Illinois, California, and New Jersey
- Fluent in Spanish
- BS, European History and Economics, Columbia University
- Taught middle school English and History at the Pingry School in NJ
- World-class fencing coach, awarded National Championship
- Fencing Coach, Duke University
Special Subject Teachers
- AS, Mercer County Community College
- BS, Delaware Valley College
- NJ K-5 Certification, New Jersey City University
- Recipient of the Elizabeth Abernathy Hull Award and the Richard Potter Award in recognition of work to further the early environmental education of children
- Earned River Friendly certification from the Stony Brook-Millstone Watershed Association
- BA, MA East Asian Studies, Mandarin, Modern Chinese Literature, University of Pennsylvania
- M.S.Ed. University of Pennsylvania, Graduate School of Education
- Assistant Professor of English at the Community College of Philadelphia (CCP), 10 years, English as a Second Language
- Children's Book Review Editor for Brain, Child Magazine.
- BA, Liberal Studies, Elementary Education with a Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language, Humboldt State University, College of the Redwoods and Cabrillo College, CA
- Professional musician of 21 years, 5 CDs of original, self-produced material
- Certified in Project Wild, Project Learning Tree, Star Lab, Positive Parenting and Music Together
- BS, Special Education, Speech Therapy, Universidad del Museo Social, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Diploma in Phono-Audiology, Instituto Nacional Superior del Profesorado en Educacion Especial, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Spanish Teacher at "Spanish Workshop for Children" since 2012
- Spanish Tutor
- BA, Political Science, Wells College, Aurora, NY
- Princeton University, Physical Education Department, tennis/squash, 15 years
- Princeton Day School, Varsity and JV Coach, tennis and squash, 20 years
- Stuart School, Varsity Tennis Coach, 16 years
- Princeton Junior Squash, Founder and Coach, 25 years
- M.Ed., Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S., Elementary Education, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- Over 30 years teaching career distinguished by many accolades for outstanding achievement, teacher enrichment and excellence in the field of education
- Presenter at national and international conferences
- Work has been noted in Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School by Georgia Heard, Craft Matters by Ralph Fletcher, and Digital Reading: What's Essential in Grades 3-8 by Bill Bass and Franki Sibberson
- BFA, University of Arizona, 1990
- Pop artist for over 20 years
- Known for a blend of pop culture and contemporary art that is frequently a tribute to icons, athletes and celebrities
- A "people's artist," who collaborates with charities, philanthropic and civic organizations
- Patrons include The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Sylvester Stallone, H. Chase Lenfest, Julius Erving, and CEO of Regency Group, Steven Erlbaum.
View Perry's work at www.perrymilou.com